Saturday, May 2, 2009

Polynesian Skillet

2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 T oil
1 med. onion, sliced*
1 green pepper, chopped*
1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks, reserve juice
2 t. or cubes bouillon
1/4 c. vinegar
1/2 c. brown sugar (I only used 1/4 c.)
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. corn starch (or arrowroot powder)

(*You can use whatever veggies you have on hand. I added some grated carrots, chopped celery, a little cilantro, and crushed garlic.)

Saute chicken strips in the oil. Remove from pan. Saute veggies (I added just a little bit of water and covered them, stirring occasionally until tender.) Combine cornstarch and sugar, add soy sauce and vineger, stirring until smooth. Add pineapple juice and cooked chicken to veggies, then add cornstarch mixture. Stir until thickened. Add pineapple and heat through. Serve over brown rice.

I'm a huge fan of the Wed. newspaper food section. I adapted this recipe from one I got from there. The recipe called for both a smaller can of pineapple and a can of mandarin oranges. I figured I'd end up wasting the leftover pineapple, and you had to toss the mandarine juice, so this way there was no waste. :) I thought it was yummy this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

background