Saturday, March 28, 2009

Saturday Brunch

I have no idea what to call this. All I know is that it turned out so yummy. I guess that it is basically a quiche baked in a giant bread "bowl". You could do any variation of your favorite ingredients in it. I changed it a lot from the recipe that I had. also the recipe I had called for it to be baked in foccaica bread. I went with ciabatta (cam's favorite) and it worked great. Also as you may be able to tell I was on a cheese kick so I used one of my favorite cheeses in this. Cheddar would be just fine.

1 loaf crusty bread
4 oz smoked gruyere
4 oz cheddar
3 slices breakfast ham cut into cubes
half of a medium onion
1/2 tsp thyme
6 eggs
butter
parsley
olive oil

slice the top off of the bread and hollow it out making a nice bread "boat" brush the inside and top edges with the butter (melted) or olive oil would work. Then sprinkle with the parsley, place on a cookie sheet, and put into a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until toasted.

while the bread is toasting chop the onion and saute in a tbsp evoo until transparent and then add the cubed ham and thymeand contiue to cook. Shred cheeses and mix with eggs. add ham mixture and stir together. pour into the toasted bread and put back into the 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. when it is done let stand for 5ish minutes and then slice into 1 inch slices. and serve. It is tasty. There are so many fun variations you could do with this. I am going to be getting creative. I have lots of eggs to use up.

1 comment:

  1. I was actually thinking about quiche the last few days and wishing I had a good recipe! I also have a lot of eggs to use up-three dozen! So I am excited to use this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

background