Monday, March 16, 2009

Oat Poppy Seed Muffins

You all know how I like to cram all the whole grain I can into my baked goods, but I've found that whole wheat kind of overpowers the flavor of poppy seed muffins, so I use white and oat flour (made by whirling oats in the blender) for this recipe. This batter is really thick, but my poppy seed muffins always puff way up and then collapse, and thicker batter helps some to prevent this. (Mine still went kind of flat.):

1 1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. oat flour
1 t. baking soda
2 t. poppy seeds
1/3 c. powdered milk (or just use milk instead of powd. milk & the water)
1/2 c. sugar (3/4 c. if you like sweeter)
1/4 c. canola oil
1/2 c. water
1 egg
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 t. lemon zest or lemon extract (optional)

Mix dry ingredients together, then mix in the wet stuff. Don't over mix. Bake 15-20 min at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

background