Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Here's the Mac and Cheese that we had for dinner on Saturday:

Macaroni and Cheese Light

8 oz whole-grain elbow macaroni (yes, it really called for whole grain)
1 T all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free milk, divided (I used 1%)
1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (I found sharp cheese, but not extra sharp)
2 t. Dijon mustard
1 t. salt (the recipe called for only 1/4 t.)
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. nutmeg (sounds a little strange, I know, but I did put it in)
1/8 t. ground cayenne, ancho or other chili pepper
1 1/2 cups 2% cottage cheese
3 T unseasoned breadcrumbs
1 t. extra virgin olive oil
3 T grated Parmeson cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8" square baking dish with cooking spray. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water, then set aside. (It's important to cook whole grain pasta only to al dente stage.)

Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together flour and 2 T of the milk. In a large saucepan, heat the remaining milk over med. heat until steaming. Gradually whisk a few T of the hot milk into the milk-flour mixture, then whisk this mixture back into the saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constatnly, until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, 1 minute.

Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in cheddar cheese, mustard, salt, black pepper and nutmeg; set aside. Puree the cottage cheese until very smooth; stir into the sauce. Stir in the cooked macaroni and spoon into the baking dish.

In a small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and olive oil until well blended. Stir in the Parmesan and sprinkle over mac and cheese. Bake for 40-45 min. or until browned on top and bubbling.

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to see a mac and cheese recipe without eggs in it. The last several I have looked at all had eggs... a funny thing for me to care about but anyway... I am going to try this one. minus the whole wheat pasta... I still can't find a whole wheat pasta that doesn't make me remember being first pregnant with Cohen... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggs??? I've never seen a recipe that calls for eggs. Then again, I've only ever used one mac and cheese recipe before. :)

    ReplyDelete

background