Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Whole Wheat Bread

Makes 2 loaves. This bread turned out amazing!! I saw this demonstrated on a food storage website. The combination of gluten, potato flakes, and vinegar make the bread soft and springy like store bought bread. Usually my wheat bread is very fragile, falls apart easily, and doesn't last for more than a couple days, so I am excited to have this awesome recipe!

2 1/2 c warm water
2 T yeast
1/2 c honey (or 1/4 c molasses or 2/3 c brown sugar)
5 1/2 c whole wheat flour (may need to add 1 c more [or so])
1/2 c gluten
1 T salt
1/4 c powdered milk (non instant)
2 T butter, or oil
1/2 c potato flakes (or use 1/2 c water to dissolve yeast in, then use 2 c potato water)
2 T vinegar

*Don't use potato pearls, needs to be flakes. I saw some potato starch at the health food store, so I just bought some of that and used about 1 T. But saving the water you boil potatoes in will work just as well.

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let sit until foamy. Add other ingredients and mix well. Knead dough for 10 minutes. Cover and let rise until double. Use the "poke test" to check to see if the dough is ready...if the indentations stay it's ready. Punch down dough. Form into a ball and divide dough by cutting down the center of the ball. Roll dough with a rolling pin into a 9X18 rectangle. Roll the dough up (this gets rid of baked air bubbles and makes bubbles more uniform); "karate chop" the ends closed and fold under; seal the long edge by pinching the dough together. Let rise in greased loaf pans for about 1/2 hour (again you can use a gentle "poke test"). Bake 20-30 minutes at 375 degrees. (I left min in for 30 minutes, but after about 15-20 minutes I set a piece of tinfoil over the tops so they wouldn't get too brown.) Test the loaf to see if it's done by removing loaf and tapping bottom. If it sounds hollow it is done. Cool on wire rack.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipes! I'll have to get my wheat grinder cranked up and get going on them. Have you done much with the sour dough recipes yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned on the exercise blog that I tried the bread, but I'm afraid it's going to take a bit of practice to get it right...it tastes good, but it's really dense and didn't rise much. I have mostly made the pitas. We love those and use them for lots of things. Again, I have a lot of the sourdough start that I dried. I'm planning on giving you a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I recently posted on our facebook family group, I decided to test out this recipe using the potato pearls, just for the heck of it. I put 1/4 cup into the water right at the first along with the yeast. Left them a few minutes before adding the rest of the stuff. My bread turned out really good. (I have tons of potato pearls!)

    ReplyDelete

background