Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls

I used half whole wheat flour for this recipe and it turned out really yummy! The kids were clueless...they ate them and asked for more! This is just the "Lion House Dinner Roll" recipe which is my favorite for rolls too.

2 T dry yeast
2 c warm water
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c shortening (or use oil)
2 1/2 t salt
2/3 c nonfat dry milk
5-6 c flour
1 egg

filling:
4 T butter, softened
1 c brown sugar
1 T ground cinnamon
*Mix butter in with a fork until crumbly.

Combine yeast and water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, shortening (or oil), salt, dry milk, 2 cups flour and egg. Beat together until very smooth. Add 2 more cups of flour, one at a time, and beat until smooth. Add about one more cup flour, 1/2 c at a time until well mixed. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until it is smooth and satiny (I just let my mixer knead if for me). Return dough to an oiled bowl and cover to let rise until about triple in size. Use last of the flour as needed on the board for rolling and shaping the dough into a rectangle. Spread the filling over the dough, roll up and pinch the seam closed. Use a knife (or I always use a piece of thread to cut through the dough) to cut out cinnamon rolls. Put on a greased pan and let rise for 30-40 minutes (until doubled). Bake 375 until light brown about 15-20 minutes. Frost with a glaze or your favorite frosting.

4 comments:

  1. Those sound so yummy and I LOVE cinnamon rolls. However, recipes that call for yeast usually scare me off. It is intimidating to me for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Kate! I need a lesson from someone who knows what they are doing sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing to it...just do what it says. Put the yeast in warm water (not too hot not too cool) stir it around, and let it stand for about 5-10 minutes. It will foam up, then your all set to add the other ingredients. If you really want to see it first hand, let's do it next time we're at mom's (or just have mom show you)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these yesterday. They turned out soooooo good. Yeast used to scare me too guys. But Heidi is right. There really is nothing to it.

    ReplyDelete

background