Saturday, December 6, 2008

Open Faced Sandwiches

Open faced Asperagus Gruyere Chicken Sandwiches.

I decided after my total abuse of our cooking blog I would post another one of our favorites at our house. This is a really yummy recipe that I scored from my cooking buddy Wendi. It seems a little involved the first time you make it but it's not that bad the next times. Plus it's just worth. it. Don't be scared by the gruyere. That's just a splurge. You can use any kind of cheese. I think it would be best if it was a white cheese, but use whatever you like at your house. Also, the original recipe uses white wine, I substitute white grape juice and chicken broth. however there was one time when I didn't have any juice in the house and I didn't realize it until I had started cooking already, but we did have some guarana. I used it and it was my favorite ever. So I use the excuse when I am going to cook this to buy some guarana and tell Cam it was just for him:) anyway. Try it sometime. it's good.


4T extra virgin olive oil
1 onion
1 tsp Thyme
3 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
6 Tbsp butter
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 baugette or loaf of french bread
parsley
2Tbsp flour
1/2 cup white grape juice
1 C broth
1/4 cup cream
1 bunch asperagus
1 C shreded gruyere cheese

preheat oven to 400 degrees
combine 2 T evoo, onion, thyme, garlic and salt and pepper and saute 5-8 mins until onions are transparent. Remove onion from skillet. Add 2 T evoo and 1 Tbsp Butter to pan and cook the chicken. I like to chop it into smaller pieces while it cooks.
While chicken is cooking- split bread in half (length wise) and take out center brush with butter and sprinkle with parsley then put into oven for 5 minute or until it is toasted.
When chicken is done sprinkle with flour and cook for about 1 minute. Add Juice broth and cream and mix well. Add back in onion mixture and asperagus and cook until asperagus is tender crisp. Spoon chicken and suce onto baugettes. mix bread crumbs with cheese and place on top of sandwiches. Put under broiler until cheese is melted. These are best served immediately.
Yum Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! Watch out for that caffeine... I read that guarana has 5 times as much as coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I read that too. I need to check into it come more because when I talked to Cam about it he said that guarana was just a fruit that they grow in Brazil and the soda is basically just carbonated guarana fruit juice. But I have seen energy drinks advertise that they have guarana in them. So I am going to do a little more research on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Crystal! I left a comment yesterday, but it didn't post! We will pray for you and the little babe!

    ReplyDelete

background