Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Grandma Ev's soft sugar cookies

I had to beg this lady in town for her sugar cookies recipe and she still wouldn't give it to me. Luckily, I am good friends with her granddaughter who was nice enough to pass it on. I can't make them like her. She must keep some secrets to herself. but they are still yummy.

Soft Sugar Cookies

2 c Sugar
1 1/2 c shortning
3 eggs
1 c milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp vanilla
5 cups flour

cream together sugar, shortning, egg and milk. Add Vanilla. Add dry ingredients. Flour amount varies. I start with 4 cups and then add more to make it the consistency that you need. Barely enough so you can roll it out. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

The one thing I did get out of Grandma Ev is that it makes them flakier the less you handle them. (like pie crusts). She also only makes circle cookies because smaller points tend to cook more or something like that. also don't roll them out too thin.

I would like a good icing recipe..... or tips on making good icing or something.... anyone, anyone?

3 comments:

  1. BTW these are actually softer the second day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Crystal! I can't wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These really are the best sugar cookies ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete

background