Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Goodies

It's getting close to time for all the yummy Christmas baking to begin. I would love it if you could all share some recipes of things you will be making. I would particularly like a good fudge recipe. Here are a couple of my favorites. (Neither of them actually require baking. :))

Cookie Dough Truffles
(adapted from Taste of Home)

½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup packed brown sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional, I did not add them)
1 ½ pounds semisweet chocolate candy coating, chopped

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla; mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts, if using.

Shape into 1-inch balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Loosely cover and freeze for 1-2 hours or until firm. (The dough softens quickly at room temperature so it works best if they are frozen, not just chilled in the refrigerator.)

In a microwave safe bowl, melt candy coating, stirring often until smooth. Dip balls in coating; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. If desired, melt remaining candy coating and drizzle over candies. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 5 ½ dozen.

(I couldn't find the candy coating, so I added 1 1/2 tbsp of shortening to one bag of chocolate chips and melted them together. It worked just as well and is also a cheaper option.)


Crispy Peanut Butter Balls
(also from taste of home)

2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
3-3/4 cups powdered sugar
3 cups crisp rice cereal
4 cups chocolate chips
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
1/3 cup vanilla or white chips

Ina large mixing bowl, beat peanut butter and butter until blended; gradually beat powdered sugar. Stir in cereal. Shape into 1-in. balls. Refrigerate until chilled.

In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine choc. chips and 1/4 cup shortening. Microwave on high until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Dip balls into chocolate; place on a waxed paper-lined pan.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine vanilla chips and remaining shortening. Microwave at 70% power until melted; stir until smooth. Drizzle over candies. Refrigerate until set.

(To drizzle white chocolate, I use a Ziploc bag and cut a tiny whole in the corner.)

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I am so sorry I never got on here to post some of my candy recipes. I had too much I wanted to accomplish during the holidays I guess. I was lucky to even get any candy made...I didn't get to make most of what I wanted to. I will still post some recipes...maybe they will be fun to try for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete

background